Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Pour Me White Lightning

I think this'll fit to the tune of "Streets of Laredo".

In a bar down on Dock Street an old sailor’s drinking
he’ll drink up his paycheck until it’s all gone.
If you’d like to know what the sailor-man’s thinking
then sit down beside him and pay for a song.

“Oh, pour me white lightning and chase it with thunder
Pour me salt water with foam on the rocks
Wind and the hailstorm can drag a boat under
May God bring us safe again back to the docks!

“I’ve followed the salmon through wind and bad weather
taken the cod in the teeth of a gale.
I’ve been an old sailor, come hell or high water
I’ll drown in the salt at the end of my tale.

“Man never loved woman with half the devotion
I’ll have for the sea when she clasps my cold hands.
So bury my bones in the heart of the ocean
For I wasn’t made for to sleep on dry land.

“So pour me white lightning and chase it with thunder
Pour me salt water with foam on the rocks
Pray for us sailors and pay the bartender
Drink to my memory down at the docks!”

No comments: