Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Cheatin' Michigan Blues

Stories like this just make you wonder.

It was out in upstate Michigan, I was cheating on my wife
It was out in upstate Michigan, I was cheating on my wife
They caught me and the judge he say, "Son, you gotta do life."

I met this little Yooper* girl, said "Babe, it's been a long time"
Met this cute little Yooper girl, said "Babe, it's been a long time"
'Cause my wife she hasn't loved me since nineteen ninety-nine.

[Bridge: Polka]

I done it a dozen times before but this time I got caught
Done it a dozen times before but somehow I was caught
Didn't know it was a felony when they dragged me into court.

The judge said "Sorry son, it's what the law does say"
The judge said "Sorry son, it's what the law does say
That cheatin' gets you prison time in Michigan today."

The sheriff said "Can't lock you up, you best go out on bail"
The sheriff said "Ain't no room here, you best go out on bail
'Cause half the state of Michigan is locked up in this jail."



*Yooper: resident of the U.P. or Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Lest residents take offense: I don't imagine people in Michigan engage in this behavior any more commonly than people in other places. But apparently they face more severe consequences.

No comments: