Saturday, August 25, 2007

Dancing Steps

Poetry Thursday's final prompt: An open window.

A window open on a city street
lets music in, far more than talk or news
and brings a dancing step to tired feet.

It's summer, and block parties like to meet
and bring in local bands to play the blues
out in the open, on the city streets.

Around the schoolyard, in their shiny neat
fall uniforms, the high school band reviews
and brings a dancing step to tired feet.

Not fond of rap-- it seems to just repeat
the same old things-- but that's what you hear through
a window open on a city street.

And every restaurant where we like to eat
has live musicians working out their dues
and bringing dancing steps to tired feet.

I've listened to the city's tunes and beat,
I think I'll go put on my dancing shoes.
A window open on a city street
brings dancing steps to my poor, tired feet.

No comments: