Sunday, November 02, 2008

Lost Keys

What happened to the photo-perfect smile
in black and white, that yester-year was mine?
Where is the honeyed voice that could beguile
the sternest hearts to melt, their eyes to shine
with long-forgotten love? I made them pine
and sigh for sake of lovely memories,
and search each other's faces for a sign
of new emotion, stirred by melodies.

But time has stained my ivories
and only off-key tunes can flow
from this poor gap-invaded row
that once was flawless, on display.
A smile can unlock hearts, they say
but mine has lost too many keys.

This is the image that inspired the above:


from Severine Cousot via Poefusion.
Collection available! Knocking from Inside

6 comments:

poefusion said...

You've written a somewhat sad poem for today's Monday Mural but, it's still a good piece. It gets into your heart. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice day.

Angie C. said...

Good poem, and yes it is sad. Everytime I see an old, worn out piano I can just hear its sadness.

soulbrush said...

so mournful, yet so life like. worn out ivories of course are teeth.

Anonymous said...

wow... wonderfully thought provoking!

laurel said...

Great photo and poem!

H. Buchholz said...

I know I am closing in on another birthday because I can completely relate... time is staining my ivories, too.