Saturday, January 18, 2014

Fog in the Valley

Sucking down fog on the road to Corvallis
watching for dawn light with no hope in hell
The freeway’s my home, my car is a palace
I’m waiting for sunlight to take off the spell.

Passing through Salem, I listened to sirens
I saw the red-and-whites flash in the rain
Nothing to see here, so just keep on driving
Someone else is in trouble, someone’s in pain.

Oh, streetlights wear halos like some kind of angel,
an angel that preaches electrical faith
They stand at the roadside to warn us of danger
they float in the fog like benevolent wraiths.

Alone in the fog, I listened for thunder
I cried for the children who’ve never been kissed
I cried for the elderly dying of hunger
I cried for the stranger who’s lost in the mist.

There’s snow in the mountains and fog in the valley
and hurricane winds are lashing the coast
I’m miles from home and tired of travelling
I think I’ve turned into a fog-weary ghost.

Available! High-Voltage Lines, Knocking from Inside

No comments: