Thursday, March 12, 2020

Life in the Time of COVID

Who knows if I'll be at work tomorrow? I'm carrying my laptop to and from work every day from now through the foreseeable future.

I might get sick. I might find out I've been exposed to someone's who's sick, and work from home to protect my co-workers. My whole workplace might go remote as a form of social distancing. My district might decide to close. The state might order a county or statewide closure.

(Arguments against: many families would have to pay for daycare, or lose an adult wage; many families rely on schools to provide a meal, or two meals, every day for their kids. Where is the least harm? How are we even in a situation where we have to ask this?)

I've packed up everything I need to do my job at home. Besides the laptop? Nothing, really: a sheaf of papers I normally keep on a clipboard at my desk, a pad where I make notes. Over the years, my workstyle has evolved to almost paper-free. I've even exported all my work bookmarks to my laptop.

Does any of it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. The more prepared I feel, the better I'll be able to cope.

Available! High-Voltage Lines, Knocking from Inside

No comments: