Monday, April 06, 2020

Bigger than a Band-Aid

While I'm bragging on my state, I should say we have eviction moratoria in effect, for both residential and commercial properties. There are some issues: we don't know, when the emergency ends, whether people will have to pay back rent or if there will be partial or full forgiveness, if there is payment required, what will the timeline be like. Because it's clear that not everyone is going to have a job to come back to. But at least for the duration, people aren't being kicked out of their apartments. And when businesses do manage to re-open, they'll be able to at least start back in the same space. If they aren't able to re-open, their stuff is stored safely for now and they aren't scrambling to find a place to put it.

It's bigger than a Band-Aid, smaller than a solution.

Yesterday I went for a walk with my hoodie on backward and the hood pulled up over my nose and tied behind my head. It's an effective improvised mask. All the robbing-the-stagecoach jokes have already been made.

Available! High-Voltage Lines, Knocking from Inside

No comments: