Friday, May 19, 2023

How a Salamander Sheds

I want to shed like a salamander, shucking hands like pale filmy gloves. Like someone coming off shift at the ER, shedding gloves of purple nitrile, discarding them in the bin. No: a salamander eats its skin when it molts. I want to change my skin like that. I want to get rid of the hard layer I’ve grown in the last three years, under the mask that made my face smell like a dirty sock. I’d like to forget the gloves and the smell of Lysol everywhere, but I’d also like to believe that nothing is wasted and that I could eat this discarded armor and grow stronger. That I could eat my gloves, and my mask, and my own face.

 

Books Available
Dervish Lions
The Day of My First Driving Lesson
Country Well-Known as an Old Nightmare's Stable
High-Voltage Lines
Knocking from Inside

No comments: