Monday, April 17, 2006

Sadness Wine

If I invite you to my house, you can expect to dine
and after, you can sit with me and we'll drink sadness wine.

The label's red. The drink is blue. It'll help you kill some time,
the taste's familiar on your tongue, they call it sadness wine.

It could be bitter, could be sweet. But either way, it's fine--
you'll never know the difference once you're drunk on sadness wine.

There's sun and rain and killing frost and black rot on the vines,
and that's what makes the grapes grow rich and full of sadness wine.

The table's spread with soup and bread, but somehow I can't find
a place that's set with more than just a glass of sadness wine.

The phoenix sets itself on fire and leaves the past behind,
Some day I'll do the same, but now I'm drinking sadness wine.

If you've forgotten what you used to read between the lines,
come sit with me and rest a while, and drink some sadness wine.

5 comments:

Lisa Cohen said...

Kudos for tackling the Ghazal. A tough poetry beastie!

This my favorite couplet:

"The phoenix sets itself on fire and leaves the past behind,
Some day I'll do the same, but now I'm drinking sadness wine."

Tumblewords: said...

I'll look up information about the Ghazal. This poem resonates and each couplet reveals a different sense. Lovely! Beautiful poetry!

Cassiopeia Rises said...

Oh.....how sad and lovely. We all have a share in the past. Being human we never forget.
Sad has followed me all my life and yet from it source, we seem to create. Wonderful work..I know it well......

love-bd

Deb said...

Your ability with form is terrific. I can feel it, but it isn't doesn't glare.

"the taste's familiar on your tongue," is a pull on the reader.

paisley said...

the melancholy in me cries out for such a wine!!!! this was lovely.....