Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I Swear I Slept Here

All day the horses lumbered through their paces, obedient to whip and spur and rein. At night they kicked over their traces and rambled all directions on the plain. The white horse grazed in salt-grass meadows and dissolved in tossing foam. The black one disappeared in shadows over by the standing stones. I couldn't catch the palomino or the pinto or the bay-- but fellow dreamer, do let me know if you see the dappled grey.

I swear I slept here by your side, I did not swim off into the surf. I don't care if morning light shows hoofprints scattered on the turf. Whoever danced all night down by the sea, it wasn't me, it wasn't me, it wasn't me. Whoever tripped the light fantastic by the sea, it wasn't me.

--after Leonard Cohen

No comments: