Sunday, April 15, 2007

Masquerade

I told you once; this is a masquerade
a costume ball, an evening made for show
and all the masks we wear, by day will fade.

The dance began. Oh yes, the music played.
The mask was de rigueur, or at least so
I told you once. This is a masquerade.

And you and I a handsome couple made
forgetting as we tangoed to and fro
that all the masks we wore, by day would fade

the music end, our welcome be outstayed
the night burn down, the band pack up and go.
I told you once: this is a masquerade

but there's no need for us to feel betrayed.
The morning comes, and waking light will glow
through all the masks we wear. By day, we'll fade

our self-illusions all will be unmade
and nothing left but Truth for us to know--
I told you once; this is a masquerade
and all the masks we wear, by day will fade.

Visit the Sufi Poetry Carnival here on May 28th 2007.

Sufi_Poetry_Carnival
Hosted by eSnips

No comments: