Friday, March 07, 2008

Grammatical Inference

Don’t confuse destiny
with destination—
where we’re going with where we’re meant to go.

And pre-destination? That’s where we’ve been
so pre-destiny must be
where we were meant to have been
but weren’t, when we
missed the train
didn’t trip over a stranger who would prove to be the love of our life
failed to rescue a drowning child who would grow up to win the Nobel Peace Prize for ending hunger and warfare.

But, you protest
none of that ever happened
how could you have known?

--Writer's Island: Destiny

Collection available! Knocking from Inside

6 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Terrific. You are really an excellent poet. You always amaze me.

Tumblewords: said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done, and very interesting!

Gemma Wiseman said...

This is nifty with depth, cute without makeup, and amusingly serious.

Simply adorable!

Smiles and Light

Anonymous said...

I've always ben intrigued by destiny. How one action leads to reaction which wouldn't have occured had we decided differently.

Actually I have a pretty poor sense of direction so destination and destiny often become confused for me!

Cassiopeia Rises said...

Ah, once more the work of free will and predestination. Being a Lutheran I could go on and on about this. Thank goodness I won't bore you.
I love your little poem and for me it rings true. Well done.

-bd