Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Best Idea, or, Nervous Bride

Maybe this isn't the best idea I ever had--
my astrologer won't say what the stars have in store
but if I break it off now, people will be mad
and besides, the presents have been brought to the door.

My astrologer wouldn't say what the stars have in store
and the palm-reader said my love-line wasn't clear
although the presents had already been brought to the door.
Perhaps we should go to a fortune-teller, dear--

because it seems that my love-lines aren't clear
and so we might not be intended for each other at all!
Perhaps we should go to a fortune-teller, dear
one with gold gypsy earrings and a big crystal ball

and find out if we're intended for each other at all.
Or maybe I can sit down and do a quick Tarot spread,
put on my gypsy earrings and polish my crystal ball,
invent some awe-inspiring portent of certain dread.

I could sit down here and do a quick Tarot spread,
but if I break it off now, I will always be sad.
Now I'm inspired! Now awe replaces dread!
Oh, this is the best idea I have ever had!


Collection available! Knocking from Inside

No comments: