Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Stonework

They ask if God could make a stone He couldn't lift.
Well, I don't know 'bout that. The world's chock-full of stones
and most of them too heavy for my hands to shift--
the earth's foundations, mountain's teeth and giant's bones.
I'll mark the graves of righteous folk with cairns of pebbles,
build a wall from chunks of columnar basalt,
line the city streets with water-rounded cobbles,
cut a slab of granite for the family vault,
all things to their measure. Hypothetic boulders
beyond the strength of Deity to move or break
get nothing done, give no-one shelter. Lay my hand
to some constructive task. I'll do my best to make
a house that's sound, though it be humble or though grand
from rocks: the biggest I can carry on my shoulders.


Collection available! Knocking from Inside

2 comments:

Greyscale Territory said...

Loved your image of "hypothetic boulders". And yes! We do build best from stone. Sound sense!

Gemma

Just Jen said...

don't build your house on the sandy land...hehe....thats all we can do, just build what we can carry!