Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Very Old Tortoise


In honor of Darwin's 200th birthday, I'm reposting a part of "Journey":

V. THE VERY OLD TORTOISE
Where do you think you're going?
How can you arrive someplace you never left?

Listen: Oppenheimer tried to take me home for his kids.
I said: "Put me right back.
You've meddled with the world enough for one man." He did.

Darwin learned all about change from his finches.
I taught him stillness
(and how to live on earthworms in a pinch).

And Achilles, red and shouting--
I almost said, pouting-- at the finish line:
"How the hell did you get here ahead of me?"
Silly man, I was here all the time.

Also read about Darwin's views on slavery.

Collection available! Knocking from Inside

2 comments:

carmilevy said...

I would have like to have met him. What a man...quite literally changed the course of human history. Cool.

Dan Gambiera said...

Pray for us, Gentle Saint Charles.