Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bottom Wakes



Bottom. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to
say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go
about to expound this dream.
--Midsummer Night's Dream, IV.i. Wm. Shakespeare

so here I sit:
under a tattered umbrella-- no,
it must be the sails of a windmill
which, as all men know, means madness.
Poor Bottom, first a fool, then mad,
preyed on, like spring lambs by eagles,
by visions no sane man would harbor.

But I would not trade this donkey head
for common wisdom, weights and measures,
the petty daily round of common life.
I'll eat grass like Nebuchadnezzar--
mad, but still a king. I'll go on all fours,
Bottom, but still a donkey. Into the arms
of spinning windmills, Sancho, ride me!

--image courtesy of oncle Jim via Read Write Poem

Collection available! Knocking from Inside

5 comments:

poefusion said...

Great poem.

angie said...

oh, nice! good thinking, bringing Shakespeare to the table. and I like the sounds of the words you chose--like Nebuchadnezzar.

Dana said...

I was wondering who would bring in Midsummer Night's Dream. Lovely poem that has so much resonance with the inclusion of the literary reference.

Erin Davis said...

Wonderful. Midsummer Night's Dream is my favorite Shakespeare play, and you do right by Bottom here!

James said...

I like that you brought Sancho into this as well. Very nice.