Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Incoherent Midnight

This is a syllable sestina. I just came across this form in a contest that's being held at Wag's Revue. This is (probably) not the one I'm going to submit, but I'll have to see if I can do better.

Night in mid-Corinth. He,
her knight renting comet
'mid her con. I, tenant,
rent midden. Her knight coo-
coo! And night-mad here in
incoherent midnight.

Obscure, no? Here's how the syllable pattern works:

123456
/Night/ in/ mid-/Co/rinth./ He,
615243
her/ knight/ rent/ing /comet
364125
'mid/ her/ co/n. I, t/en/ant,
532614
rent/ midd/en. /Her/ knight/ coo-
451362
coo! /And /night-/mad /here/ in
246531
in/co/he/rent/ mid/night.

I started with the phrase at the end and worked backwards.

Collection available! Knocking from Inside

1 comment:

Andy Sewina said...

Phew, this sounds like fun!