Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Frogs With Fangs

In a bed of reeds, by a cozy bog
sat a grumpy frog, brooding on a log.


He dreamed of excitement and thrilling times
a life of mystery, adventure, crime--


"Pond life is so boring," he said with a sob
"I'll move to the big city. I'll join the Mob,


Along came a milkmaid carrying a pail,
the frog said "Here's my chance! I must not fail!"


Like the frogs of Sulawesi
who stare with bulging eyes
He would fight for Ranid freedom
or die!


Splash in the milk! He thought he was hid
but the next time he hopped up, she slammed down the lid.


"I'm a captive in jail. The arm of the law
is long and strong as a heron's jaw.


"If only I'd stayed on my log in the bog
content with my lot as a… bored frog."


"No, this is my choice. I'm going for broke.
Adventure is worth it, even if I should croak!"


Like the frogs of Sulawesi
who stare with bulging eyes
He would fight for Ranid freedom
or die!


The pail got dumped in a big steel vat
that heated up slowly… frogs don't like that.


From pasture to pastuerized-- that's how milk flows
and over the edge our noble frog goes!


Our hero, alone on the street in the dark
heard beautiful music drifting out of a park.


Like the frogs of far Borneo
who sing both low and high
He would call for Ranid freedom
or die!





Photo credits:
sturm und drang:
bang bang:
the gang: gang, face
up sprang:
with fangs:
went clang:
might hang:
felt pang:
harangue:
said "Dang!"
much slang: vat, frog
bell rang:
who sang:
and of course, Michigan J.:

Extra thanks to Dana Lyons of Cows With Guns and to the McMaster University research team.

Collection available! Knocking from Inside

1 comment:

Todd said...

Marvelous!