Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Cake is a Lie

I say the cake is a lie.
I say the frosting is not flowers, no matter how carefully sculpted.
I say the low-calorie, fat-free version is not healthy and not good for you and not good.
I say the strawberry jam filling is not really made from strawberries.
I say the color of the chocolate cake is mostly due to brown dye.
I say the batter was not mixed with love.
I say it was mixed by machines.
I say the flour was sifted more than once too often.
I say it was baked in an oven the size of a U-Haul truck.
I say it was carried on conveyor belts and inspected by a white-masked worker wearing surgical gloves.
I say the cake was untouched by human hands.
I say it was a virgin birth.
I say it rose from the sea like a new volcanic island or a newborn goddess as painted by Botticelli.
I say it was purely imaginary.
I say the cake was a lie.

Available! High-Voltage Lines, Knocking from Inside

No comments: