Monday, March 16, 2020

Pajamas

About to start my first day officially working from home. I've done it before-- most recently, when Todd was laid up sick at a friend's house. We now wonder if that was an early COVID case. The timing seems improbable, but then, he was one of the very first people to get norovirus on land.

That was just for one day, and I wasn't prepared. Since the closure was announced last week, I planned this out.

On my desk right now, work laptop to the left, personal laptop to the right. In the middle is my big screen and ergonomic keyboard. In a few minutes, I'll shut down my personal laptop, swap the keyboard dongle and the monitor's VGA, and fire up the work laptop. (They each have their own wireless mouse.)

It would be easier if I had a docking station that fit both laptops. Alas, they are different generations of HP. Still, it's not as if I have to swap back and forth constantly: just once a day. If I need my personal laptop during the day for some reason, I can run it with its own screen and keyboard (not ideal, but usable).

And, oh yes-- I brought home my stash of teas, chocolate, and pistachio nuts.

On another front, I'm trying to figure out what to do about my radio show. It's important to me to keep it going through the crisis. KBOO has closed their recording studios for the duration-- so, I downloaded some recording software and am going to try to record some episodes at home and send KBOO the sound files. I've figured out how to record with a headset-- actually my work headset, which is also going to have to be dongled back and forth since I have webinars for work-- I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate other sound sources, such as YouTube audio. Reading aloud for a solid hour, even if I pause the recording when I need to, is going to be a pretty big strain.

If I can figure this out, maybe I can get together with some of my planned guests one on one and record some more episodes.

No-one knows how long this is going to go on.

Available! High-Voltage Lines, Knocking from Inside

No comments: