Sunday, March 22, 2020

Weed-eating

No, not what you're thinking, even if this is Potland, OR. I mean the thing where you cut the grass on your lawn with an electrical gadget that features a whirling piece of plastic cord.

What the heck is the past tense, anyway? Weed-ate? Weed-eatered? Whatever it is, I did it yesterday. Earlier than I usually get to it-- but then, we don't usually have enough dry weather this early in the year. And let's face it, working from home leaves me more free time. Morning commute is usually around half an hour, afternoon is usually an hour or more. I've found that I can actually walk home from work in about 45 minutes, but a couple of weeks of that gave me some severe pain in my right foot which I think was from plantar fascitis.

So, a couple of branches off this:

1) With this much extra time, I should come up with some projects to work on. Obviously these blog posts are one. Also, I have my KBOO show to keep running. Let's give some thought to other alternatives, shall we?

2) When we go back to working in building, I should figure out some way to use the bus commute time. I can't read on the bus, I get carsick; and audio books just don't work for me because they are sooo sloooow. I could figure out a way to listen to music. If I can get the plantar issue resolved, and go back to walking home, that would be great-- not so much in terms of time saved, but in terms of general health.

3) About that dry weather. Oregon is sliding into drought again, among other horrible pieces of climate news that have slid under the radar during the COVID crisis. Temperature records continue to be beaten, along with Antarctic and Greenland melt estimates. (I will grant, our technology on those keeps improving, so the measurements we're getting now may not be completely comparable to the ones we've gotten in the past.)

If we have bad wildfires with widespread smoke this summer, on top of continuing COVID-- well, it's beginning to look a lot like Apocalypse.

Available! High-Voltage Lines, Knocking from Inside

No comments: