Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Perpetual Amazement

I cannot get over the shock
of learning the coldness of cream
of learning the hardness of rock.

The fear of an unwanted knock
the whistles of diesel or steam—
I cannot get over the shock

of shots at the end of the block
of waking from terrified dream
of feeling the hardness of rock.

I’d like to sit back and take stock
but time passes faster than streams
I cannot get over. The shock

of hearing the click of the lock,
the joy of a free-running stream
embracing the hardness of rock,

the spray at the end of the dock,
the cheer for the homecoming team,
I cannot get over. The shock
is hard as the hardness of rock.

--for Cafe Writing


Collection available! Knocking from Inside

6 comments:

jama said...

What an amazing poem! Gorgeous . . .

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Oh I do love this! I am going to read it a couple more time. I feel exactly that shock over the hardness of rock. Why does it continually surprise?

eisha said...

I love villanelles! Very tricky to pull off. Excellent poem.

Hey, do we have almost the same name? How do you pronounce it?

Anonymous said...

Hi. I love your villanelle! I tried to write one once, and wasn't happy with the result.

-- Barb (boreal_owl of Live Journal), visiting from Poetry Friday.

laurasalas said...

This is lovely. Constant and yet surprising...much like the hardness of rocks. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

it is truly a magical piece...