Friday, July 11, 2008

Strings of Pain



15 months after my shoulder surgery, I'm happy to report myself pain-free and very nearly back to 100% range of motion. Alhumdulillah.

This is just a reminder.

My body bows against a string of pain.
There's no release, no arrow set to fly
to any target. "Give it one more try--
let's stretch this out-- let's see if we can gain
just one degree-- if I can take the strain--"
"Relax." I can't. The flexion's more than I
can take-- it hurts, but I'm too big to cry.
My courage flees, but stubbornness remains.

My doctor says the surgery went well.
I should get range of motion back, complete
if I work hard at rehab. But there's still
a lot of work to do-- a little hell
each day. No shortcuts; I can't cheat
just work, and pray, and be it as God wills.

Collection available! Knocking from Inside

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes. Very familiar sense. This is very touching scene. Great piece of art.

Tammie Lee said...

Congratulations on the success of your surgery!

Anonymous said...

glad to know you're feeling better :) love the artwork

soulbrush said...

oh my goodness, tell me about shoulder surgery(both) and the eternally long and painful healing process. glad you're much better....here's my entry to help you heal!
http://alwaysforeveryoung.blogspot.com/2008/07/healing.html

Todd said...

I hope the nightly torture sessions were good for something

jas faulkner said...

Very evocative! I would love to see you play with this a bit more with different lighting, etc. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better!

DRAWING FORTH, at THE MANE POINT