Monday, April 20, 2009

Up

Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Ayub 38:4 King James translation

Where were you when the fires rose up?
Where is the image before it shows up?

Seeds are deep-buried, far from the light,
somehow the shoot germinates and knows up.

Where did the sundial's shadow disappear to?
Clocks wind down and a child grows up.

Tell me if you know the final answers
why stones fall and water never flows up.

Where has yesterday's caravan gone,
footprints hidden by the dust that blows up?

Shopkeepers shut their doors and windows
sun's going down and it's time to close up.

I am dust and a shadow walking
call me, Lord, as my spirit goes up.

Collection available! Knocking from Inside

3 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

Wonderful imagery, powerful and pleading.

Andy Sewina said...

You're painting pictures in my mind, the bit about the seeds is so now!

(There's a whole new awakening happening and 'seeds' are the buzz word.)

Linda Jacobs said...

Such a little word but it holds so much meaning! Who knew! Under your pen, it glows!