Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Waiting for a Bus with Yunus Emre

All quotes from Yunus Emre, The Drop That Became the Sea, Kabir Helminski and Refik Algan transl.
Inspired by Billy Collins, "Shoveling Snow with Buddha"

The sun is up behind clouds. Damp leaves are stuck to the sidewalk.
Yunus says: Don’t dwell in images.
Each flower has a thousand ways it flirts with Truth.


The bus is late and my feet are cold, Yunus.
Who has time to be bored?
These sighs are love’s clothing.


I worry about the state of the world: what can one person do?
Even a weak falcon is a falcon still.
What blocked Solomon’s way was an ant.


Yunus, what’s the use of poetry anyway?
Let the deaf listen to the mute
a soul is needed to understand them both.


I never know if my poems are any good.
When you have brought the pearl to the surface
a jeweler is needed to know its worth.


I never know if my poems are true.
Some people get their share of revelations
and some people go deeper.


But what makes a really good poem?
We entered the house of realization. We witnessed
the body.


How do you want us to remember you, Yunus?
Let my poems be scattered.
May Yunus hop like a partridge.


Available! High-Voltage Lines, Knocking from Inside

No comments: