Saturday, March 14, 2020

Snow

Just what we need to shut this city down EVEN MORE.

It's awfully late in the year. But who knows what's normal any more? There are huge fluffy flakes coming down outside my window and the crocuses are completely buried.

Build me a snowman, that's your weekend task
Build me a snowman in a plague doctor's mask.

If you do go out, go to Laughing Planet. They're giving free food to any schoolchildren who are on free or reduced meals. God bless.

That made me cry. Why? I feel we've failed so badly. Not PPS, particularly: I do think closing schools is the right thing to do at this point, and anyway it wasn't our decision. It's the convergence of multiple, huge systemic failures. But because they are systemic failures, I bear some responsibility. Everyone who's part of the system bears some responsibility.

Defunding science and health agencies crippled our response to the coronavirus. That's a direct outcome of three years of national governance that is openly hostile both to science and to the idea of government as a service provider. But that begs the question of why, in what is still one of the most prosperous countries in the world, we have so many families who depend on public schools to feed and care for their children. That did not start in 2017.

Available! High-Voltage Lines, Knocking from Inside

No comments: