Thursday, January 28, 2021

Apricity and Other Archaic Words

"Writing is verbal painting."
—Elizabeth Bowen

But what could we paint with snowbroth (newly melted snow)?
The white between a tabby’s orange stripes, as he lounges
in the windowsill’s apricity (warmth of sun in winter)?

A city in winter is often malagrugrous (dismal). This is the season
of appetency (longing, desire). For the freedom of outdoors.
For hugs from loves not frore (frozen) in Zoom-squares.

Confinement is colored widdendream (a state of mental disturbance),
brabble (to quarrel about trifles), jargogle (to confuse, jumble).
Is it any wonder we’re yemeles (negligent)?

I corrade (scrape together from various sources) all the reasons I can find
to kench (laugh loudly). I fill my home office with fandangles
(useless ornaments). The days jirble (pour carelessly) away.

Grimalkin (cat), leave for my hand
the window’s warmth trapped in a tuft
of apricot fur. I need apricity.

Books Available
The Day of My First Driving Lesson
Country Well-Known as an Old Nightmare's Stable
High-Voltage Lines
Knocking from Inside

No comments: