Thursday, November 17, 2022

Constellations

My grandmother’s snuff bottle

and the stoneware bowl my aunt made

 

are both ceramic. So’s the space heater

that warms my room like the red star

 

at the heart of Scorpio. Next in the braid

is the song I made when quite young,

 

about the constellation Cygnus, which lies

alongside the blue star Vega. Blue like the designs

 

on the white snuff bottle. The stoneware bowl

is a marbly brown like the tortoiseshell hair clasp

 

that doesn’t really work with my hair.

Once I fell asleep in the back seat

 

and when I woke up my grandmother tried

to comb my hair with a tortoiseshell-patterned comb.

 

All the plastic teeth broke: it was useless. I could

drink cream or pho out of the bowl. The bottle

 

is useless, though the tiny plastic spoon

that fits in the stopper is quite clever. The blue

 

designs on the sides are beautiful. The bowl

is beautiful. The stars are beautiful.

 

Books Available
Dervish Lions
The Day of My First Driving Lesson
Country Well-Known as an Old Nightmare's Stable
High-Voltage Lines
Knocking from Inside

No comments: