Sunday, September 10, 2023

Ted Kooser’s Selected Reader

 "Selecting a Reader" by Ted Kooser

 

Yes, I am beautiful: I work hard at it,

wash with skin-gentle soaps, condition my hair.

I take good care of my grandmother’s coat,

 

a fall of sheer silver fabric, glamorous as her hair

in old photographs. Pay for dry-cleaning even

when I can’t afford to buy books.

 

Even when I put Adrienne Rich’s book

back on the shelf, knowing I’d never find it

at the local library since it’s been banned.

 

Since I can’t go there any more. Since

the librarians cried and said they couldn’t let me in.

Crazies were threatening to firebomb the place.

 

I can’t help the library

nor stop Adrienne from being banned.

All I can save is myself

and my grandmother’s vintage raincoat.

 

Books Available
Dervish Lions
The Day of My First Driving Lesson
Country Well-Known as an Old Nightmare's Stable
High-Voltage Lines
Knocking from Inside

No comments: