Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fall Equivocation

3 Word Wednesday: Decay. Graceful. Riot. I offer a sonnet instead of the usual haiku.

Summer poises on the cusp of fall.
Beneath the trees, a riot of decay
proclaims the graceful aging of the year
from green to gold to orange, brown and rust
from canopy of leaves to crumbling dust.
As leaves dissolve, their skeletons appear,
a web of veins in fragile, bold display
awaiting final dissolution's call.

The weeds have dried to shriveled husks and splinters
filling yards with evidence of drought
and autumn heat equivocates, concealing
change of season. Still, we can't help feeling
shortened days. The time is running out
and soon we'll need to make our plans for winter.

Collection available! Knocking from Inside

10 comments:

Americanising Desi said...

:)

My Decay of Graceful Riot

poefusion said...

You make it sound so inviting, winter. But, I dread its cold and shortened days. Hope all is well.

Tumblewords: said...

I always feel that 'time is running out' about this time of year - you've written this so well...

Stan Ski said...

I'm just wauting for the rain to stop.

Bobbie Sandlin said...

:) I love fall!!

Wonderful poetry and imagery!

Asleeponmyfeet said...

Winter is coming... I find a sense of foreboding in this. Especially when considering where I now work... the winters this far north are supposed to be absolutely miserable. I'm kind of looking forward to the test!
Thanks for sharing. It's gorgeous.

Sherri B. said...

You captured perfectly that time every year when summer ends and fall creeps in, with winter hovering right around the corner. Very visual...I loved it!

Anya Padyam said...

Yes - Summer time is running out - need to enjoy what is left of it - dreading winter

Beautiful piece, imagery is great!

Linda Jacobs said...

I like the rhyme scheme you used for this sonnet!

You make the march from summer to winter painless!

PJD said...

As always... I'm a big fan. Plus, I love the word equivocate. It is a wonderful word for that time when summer poises on the cusp of fall and time is running out.