Saturday, July 31, 2021

The Fujiwhara Effect

"When two hurricanes spinning in the same direction pass close enough to each other, they begin an intense dance around their common center. If one hurricane is a lot stronger than the other, the smaller one will orbit it and eventually come crashing into its vortex to be absorbed." - National Weather Service

I swirl a skirt of clouds. You bow.
I’m Anne of Austria, wearing lightning like a strand
of diamond studs. You’re Louis, the jealous king.
You circle behind me to count the gems
but I keep my face to you. Round and round we go
our ballroom, the whole Pacific Ocean.

Squall lines follow us, the whole sky entrained
into a great whirlpool, a spiral, a galaxy.
The Sun King’s court, thronged with courtiers
like lesser stars. Your followers and mine
stare and whisper while we revolve at arm’s length
in decaying orbit; closer and closer until we touch.

Only one will survive that meeting.

Books Available
The Day of My First Driving Lesson
Country Well-Known as an Old Nightmare's Stable
High-Voltage Lines
Knocking from Inside

No comments: