Saturday, March 11, 2023

More professional development, continued

 A while back - July 2021 to be exact - I posted that I was going to work on submitting more poems to journals.

How's that been going?

Submitted 71 poems in 2021; 12 accepted

Submitted 86 in 2022; 16 accepted, a bunch still pending (no way to tell for sure how many, since not all publications respond with a rejection)

2023, so far, 7 poems submitted, 2 accepted and four pending.

These numbers are somewhat approximate, especially around the turn of the year.

I see looking at old posts that I used to post whenever I had a poem published. I apparently quit doing that, and now can't remember why or when, and I'm not going to go back and track down all my old pubs.

But going forward, I am going to try to remember to post here with a link to the journal if it's an online journal, or the project website if it's a paper publication. Lately most journals seem to be entirely online, but I've had poems in a couple of anthologies that were physically produced.

Poetry journals don't make money, and my guess is that most anthologies don't either. They're a labor of love on someone's part. The least I can do is return a little of the love; I don't have, and am not going to acquire, a big social-media footprint, but I can use what I've got.

What I also haven't been doing is posting about my readings and other events. I just got back from the local author fair at the West Linn library (yay libraries!) which did not involved reading, but did result in some book sales. Over the summer I was at several events. I was a featured reader at two events in Vancouver, and also got to participate in Paseo, which is an outdoor summer arts festival through Portland Parks & Rec (yay Parks & Rec!).

Best of all, I got to be a featured reader at the Milwaukie Poetry Society's reading series in November. They had just started back to in-person readings (with a livestream option, and the livestream is also recorded).

So, it's been a busy couple of years in the poetry biz... It's lovely to see in-person readings starting up all over town, after these three years without.

Anyway. My most recently published poem was "Antarctic Glaciers Are Like Old Men" appearing in the tiny journals' climate change issue.

 

Books Available
Dervish Lions
The Day of My First Driving Lesson
Country Well-Known as an Old Nightmare's Stable
High-Voltage Lines
Knocking from Inside

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Wow. That glacier poem is powerful.