Saturday, June 17, 2023

Thoughts on sidereal events and the change of seasons

Working from a summer solstice prompt, it occurred to me I have written a lot of solstice poems. But far more winter solstice than summer solstice.

It's pretty obvious why. Winter solstice to me means that the days stop getting shorter and start getting longer. At forty-five degrees latitude, that is something to celebrate. Summer solstice means the days are about to start getting shorter, and who wants that? (Although to be fair, it will be a while before I notice the difference.)

Winter solstice also falls in the neighborhood of other significant events. There's New Year's, and also winter break for schools. As a year-round employee, I don't necessarily get time off, but it definitely changes the rhythm of work. I've been known to refer to the days between solstice and New Year's as "intercalary days" (in fact, I wrote a poem titled that, and for some reason it didn't show up on my list of winter solstice poems, and really should have...)

Anyway - by my count, I've written some 17 winter solstice poems, which is more than summer solstice and both equinox poems combined.

Summer solstice is "officially" the start of summer, which makes sense given that we usually get our hottest weather in July and August (2021 heat dome notwithstanding). European traditions tend to call the solstice "midsummer" which makes the current convention a little odd. I mark the start of summer a couple of different ways. One is the reappearance of the western swallowtail (I learned recently that they actually migrate!) and another is the point at which everyone's lawn becomes more straw than green grass. This year, both of those occurred a couple of weeks ago.

 

Books Available
Dervish Lions
The Day of My First Driving Lesson
Country Well-Known as an Old Nightmare's Stable
High-Voltage Lines
Knocking from Inside

No comments: