Saturday, June 17, 2023

I Fall Asleep at Council Crest

I saw the first western swallowtail of the year

up at Council Crest on the last Sunday

in June. It flashed yellow against the bigtooth maples

in their thick, thick green. Blue sky overhead

and the Earth tilting, north pole toward the Sun.

I lay for a while in the short-clipped grass

 

to rest from the hike: steep climb up to here

and the swallowtail whispers “Summer is here”

 

and “Drought is coming” rustles the grass.

I feel the great golden weight of the Sun

pressing down on my hands (heart) and head.

I see the Cascade peaks beyond the maples

leaning down to remind me “The days

will grow shorter now.

                             What have you done all year?”

 

Books Available
Dervish Lions
The Day of My First Driving Lesson
Country Well-Known as an Old Nightmare's Stable
High-Voltage Lines
Knocking from Inside

No comments: